Monday, January 11, 2010

Birthday Dinner

For my birthday, The Feast of the Epiphany, we went to Osteria Il Sogno, a relatively new restaurant in the Pearl Brewery complex.  It came highly recommended by our good friends, Melanie and Cynthia, who love to go there on Saturday mornings for breakfast before shopping at the Farmer's Market.

We started with the small plate antipasti, the highlight of which was a very simple eggplant pure with a hint of lemon.

I ordered the Wild Hog Spezzatino, served over a soft polenta, and Mary got the Roasted Chicken with truffle fries (and since she can't eat a lot of fries, I got a good portion of her's too).  The Spezzatino was incredible, the hog was melt in the mouth tender and the flavors melded perfectly. The sauce tasted as if an entire case of wine had been reduced to the amount served on my plate, it was that flavorful. The polenta was absolutely the creamiest I've ever put in my mouth.  Mary's chicken was simplicity done to perfection--moist meat, crispy skin and perfectly complemented by the truffled fries (which went well with the spezzatino too).

I can't wait to go back.

Holy Scripture mentions occasions when God feeds people and they are "satisfied".  In common usage the word "satisfied" has a minimalist connotation, such as meeting the basic requirements.  That understanding doesn't come close to what scripture is describing.  The Spanish word satisfecho or the Italian soddisfaddo get closer. Those words connote having every want removed, of being satiated, of having all your senses filled just to the point of being absolutely right and perfect and complete. My birthday meal at Il Sogno was muy, muy satisfecho. and I can't wait to go back.

1 comment:

Feel free to comment or place an order.